Monday, February 4, 2008

Reformation & Mind Mapping

"Learning how to learn is life's most important skill." Tony Buzan

Mind mapping, developed by Tony Buzan was something I came across in one of the courses provided by the company I work for. It was a hard concept at the beginning to grasp, but once I understood the principles and started using the principles process I found it exciting. It is a way to open up the mind while focusing on a single or multiple tasks/projects.

Not only is it a great method for thinking about an idea, but it can be used for team approaches to a project. I have also used mind mapping during other courses I have taken to dig deeper into concepts and ideas presented. I have also used this mind mapping to review books which I have read for fun or profit.

I also was able to take some of the ideas from the mind mapping (free software) course and apply them to other areas of life. One of those ideas was the use of color. Using different colors for different projects helps me to keep track of 4 – 8 projects at a time. Some people laughed at some of my color choices, but I have noticed over the years that people have adapted my use of color for their own projects. The hard part is find pens, paper, steno pads, etc in the color chosen.

Try mind mapping, take a course or read a book on the subject. You can go to YouTube and watch videos discussing this principle. One of the YouTube presentations that I find interesting is presented by Stephen Pierce who has written a number of books.

No comments: