Thursday, February 21, 2008

BOGO

"When Andrew Carnegie died, they discovered a sheet of paper upon which he had written one of the major goals of his life: to spend the first half of his life accumulating money and to spend the last half of his life giving it all away. And he did!" Jim Rohn

I am not sure who started this acronym BOGO (Buy One Get One) and I hope that by using it I am not stepping on someone’s copy right. I have taken this acronym and changed to Buy One Give One.

“The life of a man consists not in seeing visions and in dreaming dreams, but in active charity and in willing service” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

How many people in America go hungry? Second Harvest states that there were approximately twenty-five million (25,000,000) in 2007. Even if you do not believe that number, simply helping people or charities is always a good thing. Also if you would like to help Second Harvest you can download a free copy of Barilla’s cookbook until February 29th and they will donate $1.00 to America's Second Harvest for every cookbook downloaded, up to 100,000 downloads.

"The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

When there is a BOGO I will check out my coupons which are stacked up uncut in the family room. If I have coupons then it makes giving these items even easier. I will pick up the items when I do my usual shopping so that I am not making any extra trips. Most of these items are food items and I donate them to the local food pantry, unless there is a call from a group or organization for additional help.

“Where there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance.” St. Francis of Assisi

While we support our local pantry and a few others when they ask for help, we also support a men’s shelter. Those items which are not food, e.g. cleaning, laundry detergents, etc, are provided to other organizations which my wife and I support.

“Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it.” John D. Rockefeller

No comments: